Thursday, September 30, 2004

Tiger and the Endorsed Standards Override Mechanism

As you are all aware by now, the "Tiger" release of Java, version 1.5.0, was officially released today! Get it from java.sun.com.

What you may not be aware of, is the Endorsed Standards Override Mechanism. This feature was available in java 1.4, and was needed if you wanted to use a newer version of Xalan or Saxon than was bundled with the JDK.

After I installed Tiger today, I was working away happily, until I tried to transform some tech docs with Saxon 8. I soon questioned whether the endorsed override worked as before, or whether I'd have to find some new trick.

I'm happy to report, that the override is still there and worked just as soon as I dropped the newest jars in

/usr/jdk/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/endorsed

More information on the Endorsed Standards Override Mechanism is available at: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/standards/.

See also:

No comments: