Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Bittersweet Summer's End

I'm blessed to have a few friends in high places. My friend Blaine had some extra tickets to the Colorado State University vs. University of Colorado, also known as the Rocky Mountain Showdown! He and I took our sons to the game (46 yardline!)

What a game! It started out as a blow-out, but the Rams hung in there and overcame a 17 point deficit in the 2nd half. Unfortunately, Holland's interception earlier in the game and being unable to stop Bobby Purify's runs really hurt us. It went all the way down to 8 seconds, 3rd and goal at the 1 yard line. Instead of spiking the ball and coming up with a plan, Holland took a gamble and tried a handoff to Houston, that failed. Still, we gave it the good old college try, and we really should have won that one. Details here.

Thankfully the weather held out this year. I got soaked at last year's Rocky Mountain Showdown, when my wife surprised me with tickets for my birthday. It was freezing!

Speaking of freezing, we had planned to go to Waterworld on Aug. 28, but a strong cold front came through, and dropped temps to 58 F. Thankfully we had good weather on Labor Day, so we took my son as a reward for learning to swim this summer. I've never officially learned how to swim (I only dog-paddle), and still regret. We had a blast, though my wife and I got pretty good sunburns.

All in all, a great weekend to end the summer, and the sunburn hurts worse than the Rams defeat!

See also: