Friday, July 14, 2006

Everlost and the Big Dig

Or, where not to travel while in Boston...

I just happened to miss the collapsing section of the Big Dig by about 6 hours when I arrived in Boston this past Monday. I knew it was going to be, at the very least, inconvenient to leave Boston on Friday, but I had no idea that it would be that bad...

Since our rental car came equipped with a N"Everlost" system, I thought it wouldn't be too difficult to recalculate the route in. Sure enough, as we came in on the 90, the city had a detour that forced us into downtown.

Needing to get gas before returning the rental car, I thought, well, might as well get it nearby before we get across to the island airport. The system worked well enough to find a nearby gas station. Then I thought it would dump us to the nearest old tunnel to the airport, or get us to where there would be detailed detour signs leading us to where we needed to go.

The Everlost system kept trying to dump us back into the Dig, and the detour signs were pitiful at best! I swear we drove an extra hour trying to follow detour signs and then switching back to Everlost which dumped us back to the Dig!

Finally, we took a wrong turn heading back toward Marlborough on the 90 before the Everlost re-directed us through the Boston University campus and over to the Callahan tunnel and over to the airport.

Granted, I'm obviously not from Boston and it had been 10 years since I was there last! For such a major detour, I would have expected much better directions. I sure hope Boston gets its act together before I return in a few weeks!

Categories:

No comments: