Monday, May 01, 2006

Generating PDF bookmarks with DocBook and Arbortext Publishing Engine

I've been creating PDFs via a DocBook customization layer and Arbortext Publishing Engine. For some reason, using this method, I couldn't get bookmarks in the PDF.

I tried various combinations of:

<xsl:param name="arbortext.extensions">1</xsl:param>
<xsl:param name="fop1.extensions">1</xsl:param>
<xsl:param name="fop.extensions">1</xsl:param>

Thanks to Paul Grosso for giving me the solution: If you are using Arbortext, you should use

<xsl:import href="doctypes/axdocbook/axdocbook-fo.xsl"/>
not
<xsl:import href="docbook-xsl-1.69.1/fo/docbook.xsl"/>

I need to take a look in axdocbook-fo.xsl to see what's going on, and figure out how to make the arbortext extension to the DocBook stylesheets generate the bookmarks properly.

I also found some interesting info on linking to PDFs:

If you want to display bookmarks when the PDF opens, create your link like:

<a href="mydoc.pdf#pagemode=bookmarks

Other linking parameters are described at: http://ic.ucsc.edu/docs/tutorials/linkingtopdfs/.

Categories: ,

No comments: