Saturday, May 09, 2009

Star Trek: Boldly goes where no [Trek film] has gone before!

I saw the premiere of Star Trek last night. In short, absolutely stunning - especially in IMAX format! The special effects, sound effects, and soundtrack were awe-inducing.

Fellow Trekker Bill Petro has an excellent review here.

SPOILER ALERT:

There were quite a few nods to the original series and the movies that I loved, including the creature from Ceti Alpha (ST:II), the Orion girl, Captain Pike, the Phase Cannons (loose tie to Enterprise), Sulu's swordfighting...

I was hoping there would be a little tie-in with the Star Trek: Enterprise show (perhaps having Archer or Trip mentioned), especially since it was a prequel too. Perhaps the explanation of the altered timeline negates that whole series... I REALLY liked the use of Captain Pike in this film, so I'm OK with this approach. It might also have been fun to have Number One or Dr. Boyce in there (can't remember if the latter was killed in the attack...).

Complaints? Only a few: The Uhura relationship. It just didn't feel right to me. Also, since they got a Russian for Chekov, I was hoping they'd also get an actual Scot for Scotty. The englishman they got was OK, but still not quite what I'd hoped.

Bones almost stole the show. He was hilarious and absolutely in character. Spock and Kirk were also very well played.

In all, a very welcome re-start to the franchise. One I hope will continue to boldly go...

2 comments:

Eliot Kimber said...

Archer was in fact mentioned--in the scene at the end where Kirk gets his commendation there is a mention of "Admiral Archer" (I forget the exact comment). But I did notice it at the time.

Scott Hudson said...

Saw it again last night, and you are right Eliot! There was a reference to Scotty beaming Porthos away and unfortunately not returning...