Monday, September 26, 2005

Running Arbortext Interchange in batch mode

I've been banging my head on my desk for several weeks trying to figure out how to run Arbortext Interchange in batch mode. For those unfamiliar with Interchange, it is an application that can convert Word, FrameMaker, Interleaf and other formats to XML.

I have successfully built a map file, mapping Word styles to DocBook XML tags, and run the map file successfully in the standalone application. My client, however, purchased the E3 content engine and has a large volume of Word documents that needed to be converted. Doing this manually was going to be a time-consuming manual task. I knew Interchange had a batch mode, but kept getting errors, or no output.

For those interested, here is the proper syntax (all on one line for each entry in the batch file):

C:\progra~1\Arbortext\E3\bin\epic.exe -E3w -b -c
 "import_doc('C:/temp/docs/infile.doc', 0, 'C:/temp/docs/outfile.xml',
 'C:/progra~1/Arbortext/E3/custom/doctypes/client/word-docbook-map.xml',
 'C:/progra~1/Arbortext/E3/custom/doctypes/client/import-template.xml',
 1,'C:/temp/docs/infile.log' ,1);quit"

I was missing the -E3w parameter in my script...

Categories: ,

No comments: