Thursday, February 07, 2008

Super Tuesday, indeed!

I went to my first party caucus on Tuesday. Apparently many others also attended for the first time!

The chair of the caucus was stunned, saying that on average, attendance is about 2 people per precinct. This year, that number was about 40 per precinct! At this caucus, we had about 1000 people in attendance, though I don't know for sure how many precincts were represented. They even ran out of ballots (by about 400!) and had to race to get more printed!

Speaking with a colleague last night who attended the other party's caucus, they had the same situation: many first-timers, and high attendance!

I think this is a very good sign. It means that people are taking this next election seriously and getting involved. No matter which party you align with, it's important to exercise the freedoms our forefathers fought for and our Armed Services continue to fight for.

As a result, I signed up to be a delegate to the county, district and state assemblies. Why not? It's time to get involved!

Democracy at work. I love it!

No comments: